tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 05 12:39:11 1998

Re: KLBC: yajbe' vavoywI'

ja' Alan Anderson

>ja' Edy:
>>puq poHmey lut poD
>>(short story about generations)
>
>Original short stories are great practice!  This reads much better
>than the translations you did before.  You obviously understand the

    [..]

    I'll try to concentrate in these small stories. They are
quite "soft" and "easy" to read/translate.

>I'd call this a {lut nI'be'} "short story".

>Since you omitted an English translation, I'm going to give one for
>you to check and make sure what you said is what you meant.

    Okay .. Let's see it.  I'll cut the right ones and the comments
in order to keep this msg shorter.

>>- DISHu' Sut chu' Daje'pu'
>
>"{DISHu'} you have bought new clothes."  What are you trying to say
>with that first 'word'?  {DIS} has meany meanings, but the only one
>that might make any sense at all here is "year".  {Hu'} means "days
>ago" or "get up", and I don't think you intended the verb.  Are you
>trying to say "years ago"?  That's {ben}, and it customarily gets a
>number to specify how many years ago something happened.

    My err. I should write: wa' ben  [1 year ago], [last year]

>>- jInenchoHmo' vItuQlaHbe'
>
>"Because I [did/will] become an adult, I am/was/will be not able to
>wear it."  The grammar is fine, but the time reference is a little
>unclear to me.  Is the daughter going to celebrate her {nentay} soon,
>or has she done so already?

    As she grew, she couldn't wear the clothes because they
were "too short" for her. (apparently it was the reason
to buy new clothes).

>>- qatlh DatuQlaHbe'. DIS qaStaHvIS bInenchoHqu'laHbe'
>
>"Why can't you wear it?  While it is happening a year [sic] you can't
>*become* an adult."  The question in the first sentence is perfect.
>The second sentence has a word order problem:  the thing which occurs
>is the subject of {qaS} and must come after it.  I'm also not sure why
>you placed {-qu'} after {-choH}.  That emphasizes the "change" idea.
>What did you mean by this sentence?

    "You can't grow too much during 1 year"

>>- vavoy, Sutvam vItuQlaHbe'
>"Daddy, I cannot wear this clothing."  Wonderful!

PS.:  I would like to use "rIntaH" here in sense of:
    "I cannot wear this clothing, and FINISH/I WON'T DISCUSS IT
ANYMORE"  (I'm not sure if it is the meaning of
"Dramatic effect" TKD 42).

>>- toH toH toH. Huch yItlhap 'ej Sut tIn law' Sut mach puS yIje'
>
>"Aha! Aha! Aha!  Take money and -- clothing is bigger than clothing is
>smaller -- buy it."  Uh, oh.
>
>{toH} is an exclamation, meaning "So!" or "Well!"  I see it as
>indicating surprise or a sudden revelation.  It looks like you're
>trying to use it to show concession to the daughter's demand, which
>doesn't fit my understanding of it at all.

    Other mistake. I should write:  lu' lu' lu'.

>Are you trying to say "buy bigger clothing"?  There's no known simple
>way to translate this.  Comparitive adjectives like "bigger" or
>"brighter" don't exist in Klingon, and the {law'/puS} formula doesn't
>lend itself to use in a relative clause.  You can try something really
>complicated like {Sut Daje'nISbogh tIn law' Sut Daghajbogh tIn puS}
>"the clothing which you must buy is bigger than the clothing you have"
>or you can modify the idea slightly and say {Sut tIn yIje'} "buy big
>clothes."

    eheh .. simple and elegant.

>>- ghobe'. Sut mach law' Sut tIn puS vIje'.
>
>"No.  Clothing is smaller than clothing is bigger -- I buy it."  There
>are two different words for "no" in Klingon, and you need to use the
>other one here.  {Qo'} indicates refusal or disagreement, which is
>{Sut mach vIje'} "I will buy small clothes"  for the short one.

    That's it.

>>(yajlaHbe'ba' vavvatlh)
>
>"That (spelling) father obviously cannot understand."  The suffix you
>wanted is {-vetlh}.  Do you really mean that the father is *unable* to
>understand, or does he just not understand what the daughter is saying
>right now?  I think {yajbe'ba' vav} is a more reasonable idea.

    That father could't understant what his daughter wanted.

>jIyajbe' je jIH.  qatlh Sut ngo' tuQlaHbe' 'ach Sut mach tuQlaH be'?
>motlh nenchoHtaHvIS vay', tInchoHtaH.

>-- ghunchu'wI'

    The girl has a shape body and wanted show them.
In this story, the "Big" clothing was hidding her beautifull
"curves", then she wanted a smaller dress in order to show
her body. Of course she was a brasilian girls. I am not familiar
with the costums and habits of other countries.

    Edy.

Back to archive top level