tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 07 11:31:56 1998

Re: [KLBC]: Family

You wrote:

>Hi David,

Hello Qov,

>At 14:40 98-03-05 -0800, beHwI"av wrote:
>}
>}
>}vavnI'wI' vIboghpa' Heghta'
>
>More bizarre word order and another prefix error.

	In a previous mail you said that you had to mention
*charghwI'*'s different word order:

>You should say: {jIqabbe' yabwIj vIlo'mo'} or
>the other way around (which charghwI' rants about if I don't mention,
>because he believes it's the only correct way) {yabwIj vIlo'mo' jIqabbe'}.

	What's the difference in relation to the word order?

>Ah, I see from your
>translation that {-pa' is on the wrong verb, too.  When you use a Type-9
>suffix (other than {-wI'}) first write two complete sentences.  Then put
>them side by side with the type 9 suffix on one.  Don't interlace them.
>Also, you don't want to indicate that your grandfather died deliberately, do
>you?  Use {-pu'}

	Yes, he did!

>Heghpu' vavnI'wI' - my grandfather had died
>jIbogh - I was born (note NO object, you aren't born something, you're just
>born)
>Heghpu'pa' vavnI'wI' - before my grandfather had died
>

>Heghpu'pa' vavnI'wI' jIbogh
>}I was born before my Grandfather died.
>
>If you put the {-pa'} on {jIbogh} it means "before I was born."

	So the translation was shaky, but the only real mistake was
the {vI-} instead of the {jI-}. Correct?

>Fix it to mean what you meant:
>}His targ eats, but it doesn't sleep.

	Oops! If I write: {SoptaH targhDaj 'ach Qongbe'}, that should
fix it, correct? Word order problem?

>}saQtaH be'nI'wI', jIlaDtaHvIS
>
>"My sister was crying continuously while I read."
>}My Sister is crying, while I am reading. (Can I fit this into one
>}sentence?)
>
>Yes, and except for a missed shift on the {S} you've done it correctly.  Now
>to get your prefixes straightened out.  I await your ten sentences.

	You should be reading them as we speak.

>Don't call it a gerund.

	Ok, I won't.

>}	And what would be the known goal of {jIlaDtaH}? Non that I can
>}see. So maybe {jIlaDlI'} would be better in the last sentence,
>
>You've got them backwards.

	Oops, I read it to fast.

>}{jIlaDlI'vIS} is wrong, isn't it? (Does Okrand give a reason for this
>}rule?)
>
>He has been asked if {-lI'taH} is permissible and I think he said he'd have
>to ask Maltz.  He definitely didn't give an answer.

	In the book he said it's wrong, so I'll continue refraining
from using it until the jury is out...

blaze your trail!
--
David Dune

Unsolicited commercial email read for $500 per message.

Back to archive top level