tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 07 12:26:00 1998

Re: [KLBC]: Family

At 11:44 98-03-07 -0800, beHwI"av wrote:
}Hello Qov,
}>At 14:40 98-03-05 -0800, beHwI"av wrote:

}	In a previous mail you said that you had to mention
}*charghwI'*'s different word order:
}
}>You should say: {jIqabbe' yabwIj vIlo'mo'} or
}>the other way around (which charghwI' rants about if I don't mention,
}>because he believes it's the only correct way) {yabwIj vIlo'mo' jIqabbe'}.
}
}	What's the difference in relation to the word order?

In {yabwIj vIlo'mo' jIqabbe'} the secondary clause with {-mo'}, {yabwIj
vIlo'mo'}, comes before the main clause, {jIqabbe'}.  In {jIqabbe' yabwIj
vIlo'mo'}, the secondary clause comes after the main clause.  Section 6.2.2
explains that the order of main and subordinate clauses is variable, and I
accept a {-mo'} clause as being one of these.  charghwI' looks at the rule
that a noun with the NOUN suffix {-mo'} must go before the clause it
modifies, and argues that {-mo'} the VERB suffix should be treated the same
way.  I disagree, but I humour him.

}>Ah, I see from your
}>translation that {-pa' is on the wrong verb, too.  When you use a Type-9
}>suffix (other than {-wI'}) first write two complete sentences.  Then put
}>them side by side with the type 9 suffix on one.  Don't interlace them.
}>Also, you don't want to indicate that your grandfather died deliberately, do
}>you?  Use {-pu'}
}
}	Yes, he did!
}
}>Heghpu' vavnI'wI' - my grandfather had died
}>jIbogh - I was born (note NO object, you aren't born something, you're just
}>born)
}>Heghpu'pa' vavnI'wI' - before my grandfather had died
}>
}>
}>Heghpu'pa' vavnI'wI' jIbogh
}>}I was born before my Grandfather died.
}>
}>If you put the {-pa'} on {jIbogh} it means "before I was born."
}
}	So the translation was shaky, but the only real mistake was
}the {vI-} instead of the {jI-}. Correct?

The prefix error, and the fact that by your putting {-pa'} on the wrong verb
the sentence said the exact opposite of what you intended.

}>Fix it to mean what you meant:
}>}His targ eats, but it doesn't sleep.
}
}	Oops! If I write: {SoptaH targhDaj 'ach Qongbe'}, that should
}fix it, correct? Word order problem?

DaDubta'.  Note that the {-taH} emphasizes that the targ "keeps eating,"
"goes on eating," possibly "is still eating."

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level