tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 07 10:33:34 1998

Re: [KLBC]: Sir!

At 21:31 98-03-06 -0800, beHwI"av wrote:
}1.tlhIngan Hol ghoj targh
}1.The Targ learns Klingon
maj.

}2.Qov qajatlh
}2.I speak to you, Qov.

Good, but a comma in the Klingon would have been good to, just to make it
clear that you knew that {Qov} was just a name addressing me, and not the
object of the sentence.

}3.Hubbeq wIHej tlhInganpu'
}3.We Klingons rob the Defense Force.

Hmm.  We're not sure that we can put a noun in where the pronoun {maH}
belongs. I'm not opposed to it, but some people are very opposed to it, and
it makes it other than a straightforward uncontroversial sentence.  I'll
take the blame for this, because I told you to write sentences "with
subjects and objects."  I would have accepted:

{Hubbeq wIHej} as having the implied subject {maH}.

}4.reghuluSngan lu'uch roluluSnganpu'
}4.The Romulens hold the Regulan.

maj.

}5.chejaD ghewpu'
}5.You (pl) cooties throw me around.

I should have choosen my words more carefully.  I hope I haven't corrupted
the whole exercise by telling you to have subjects and objects.  In some
cases the subjects and objects have to be pronouns.  This one is wrong in
any case:  {che-} is {you(pl.)-us}.  "You (pl.) throw me around" would be
{tujaD}.

}6.nutap ghargh
}6.A serpent squashes us.

{tap} might be a culinary term, but I'll take this.  Good prefix use.

}7.HorvaD 'Igh ghomwI'
}7.My group curse HorvaD.

{'Igh} doesn't mean "curse" but "be cursed".  It's one of those verbs that
doesn't take an object.  {jI'Igh!}  "I'm cursed."

While the group is composed of language-using beings, it is not itself a
language-using being, so the possessivve is formed with {-wIj}.

You could say {HorvaD 'IghmoH ghomwIj}.  Be aware that this is slang.

The problems here aren't witht he prefix. Interestingly you've correctly
identified the group as singular in Klingon, and then treated it as
grammatically plural in Enlish.  Should be "my group curses".

}8.bompu' bobom tera'nganpu'
}8.You (pl) Terrans chant chants.

And again the noun tacked in because I accidentally gave a confusing command.
Please don't use this form in the second person without at least using a
comma, and try to avoid it altogether in the first person.

}9.tlhInganpu' DIqum tlhIngan wo'
}9.The Klingon Empire governs Klingons.

This should be {tlhInganpu' qum tlhIngan wo'}
Both subject and object are singular third person nouns.

You perhaps meant "We advise Klingons" just {tlhInganpu' DIqum} and then got
confused in translating it because Qov said you needed a subject.  *cringe*

}10.toDuj vIqeS
}10.I advise courage.

I'm pretty sure that this means that you go over to "courage" and give it
advice, not that you advise others to be courageous.  Make it {SuvwI' vIqeS}
"I advise the warrior."

}then write ten sentences, simple sentences with only one verb, and a
}subject and object.  Each of the sentences should correctly use a
}different verb prefix.  Include one with {qa-}.  Translate each of
}your sentences into English.  State whether the word "you" is singular
}or plural in each case.  If your sentences are not all correct, with
}no subject-object reversal and no prefix errors, I warn you, you'll
}have to do ten more.  So if you have any question about prefixes, ask
}first, and then check them carefully.

These were well done.  Have you memorized any yet?  I want you to do some
more without the strange nouns instead of pronouns as subjects, but because
that was partly my fault, I'll do five and you do five.

Here are mine.

1. Qorwaghmey DIghor
2. cheSuj
3. lIQaH'a' ghojmoHwI'?
4. reghImqang
5. tuQuchmoH

translations:
1. We broke the windows.
2. You (pl.) disturb us.
3. Did the teacher help you (pl.)?
4. We are willing to exile you (pl.).
5. You (pl.) make me happy.

Use {qa-} {cho-} {ju-} {pI-} and {nI-}.  Don't use nouns for the subjects
and objects if they are I/me, we/us, or you.

I think from the way you translated most of those sentences that you
understand why it is strange to have nouns there, but reassure me that you
do understand.

Grin.  Just noticed the subject line.  bIlobqangchu'mo' jIbel. ghojwI'
QaQvaD 'oy'naQ vIlo'nISbe'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level