tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 02 16:31:50 1998

Re: Letter

edy:

You haven't marked this for ghunchu'wI', so I'll answer...

> What is the name for a single letter?
> mu'tlhegh - sentence; wot - verb; etc

The things that we call letters: {D}, {'}, {tlh}, {gh}, etcetera are
just conveniences for us.  We don't know that the Klingon writing
system has anything to do with this phonetic system.  There is no
word in Klingon for this non-Klingon writing system we have imposed.
We know the word for the whole system of writing used by Klingons is
{pIqaD}.  We don't know what they call the individual glyphs, or what
they represent.  Maybe {pIqaDHom} or {pIqaD Degh} would
describe one of the actual Klingon scribbles.

Even the word "letter" isn't very precise for this.

Okrand tlhIngan Hol ghItlhmeH pat lo'lu'taHvIS, {chay'}
ghItlhlu'meH loS *letter*mey lulo'lu'?

DIvI' Hol ghItlhmeH pat lo'lu'taHvIS, {chay'} ghItlhlu'meH
loS *letter*mey wa' latlh Doch je lulo'lu'.

- Qov

Back to archive top level