tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 30 18:58:16 1998

Re: Verbs of saying

ja' Voragh:
>However, take a look at:
>
>  nuja' tlhIngan wIch ja'wI'pu'
>  According to Klingon legend... S8
>  (lit. "Klingon myth-tellers tell us...")
>
>Is {wIch ja'wI'} a noun-noun phrase "myth/legend teller/reporter" (i.e. a
>bard, griot, etc.), or can this be a hint that {wIch} can be - or was -
>sometimes used as an object of {ja'}?

With all the other evidence pointing to the object of {ja'} being only
the person spoken to, I will decline the opportunity to dredge up my old
theory about {-wI'} working on a verb with an object.  This example works
best if it's just a noun-noun phrase, with any such "hint" of objectness
ignored completely. :-)

>*{tlhIHvaD wa' qeylIS wIch vIja'
>vIneH} "I want to tell you all one of the legends of Kahless."  Probably
>not, but I thought I'd put the suggestion on the table.

I offer a countersuggestion: use {jatlh} instead of {ja'}.  We know that
the object of {jatlh} can be the thing spoken, so one can speak a legend.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level