tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 25 06:16:18 1998

Re: suffixes in comparative sentences

From: Anthony Appleyard <[email protected]>
>  In my absence, has a solution to this query been worked out?:-
>  In a sentence with a verb, mood-altering sufixes go on the verb.
>  In a sentence with no verb, mood-altering sufixes go on the subject
pronoun.
>  But where do mood-altering suffixes go in comparative sentences?
>
>  He undoubtedly writes = ghItlhbej
>  This is obviously a fault [said the miners] = Seq 'oHba' vay'vam 'e'

I'd do this as {Seqna' 'oH Daqvam'e' jatlh tlhIlwI'pu'}.

>  My ship is obviously bigger than Maltz's = DujwIj tIn law' matlh Duj tIn
>puS, + -ba'?????

If I really wanted to do this, I'd say {DujwIj tIn law' matlh Duj tIn puS
net Sov}.

>  This translates literally as "ship-my's big[ness] is_many, Maltz's ship's
>big[ness] is_few", but with non-standard word order. Surely there must be
SOME
>proper place to put any mood-altering suffixes that it may need?
>  Likewise "the ship which is bigger than Maltz's" = {Duj tIn law' matlh
Duj
>tIn puS} + a homeless -'e' and -bogh. Or will "the ship which is bigger
than
>Maltz's" become a hangar-mate of "the ship in which I fled" as a persistent
>subject of queries coming back all guns firing when we thought it has been
>mothballed away for a good long time?

Klingon for the Galactic Traveler goes into detail about the {law'/puS}
sentence.  It doesn't say much about what doesn't work directly, but it does
say that the sort of slang you can do is allowed BECAUSE the {law'/puS}
sentence is so unique and recognizable.  This is an extreme implication that
{law'/puS} can't be played with except as indicated in KGT.

SuStel
Stardate 98480.6

Back to archive top level