tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 25 06:16:16 1998

Re: Klingon monocase

From: Anthony Appleyard <[email protected]>

>  Writing Klingon (in the Roman alphabet) with all the letters in the same
>case (e.g. **{dujhomvad} for {DujHomvaD}) is a bad breach of style but
>comprehensible - except for the distinction q/Q.

Doing this is a Bad Thing (TM).  Don't do it.

>What is people's experience
>of having to transmit Klingon text in a medium such as Morse Code or some
>telex codes that have only one case of letters?

When was the last time someone here was desperate enough to communicate in
Klingon via Morse Code?  Never!

>  What also if the medium used (e.g. Morse as far as I know) has no code
for
>apostrophe?

Since the Romanized alphabet for Klingon sounds is an invented device with
no bearing on how Klingons actually write their language, you can make up
whatever Morse Code for Klingons you want—only don't expect people to know
it.

>When I have seen Klingon words used as PC filenames (where
>Messy-DOS won't allow apostrophes, although it will allow many other sorts
of
>veQ such as curly brackets),

Actually, I think it does allow apostrophes.  AOL screennames can't use
apostrophes, and that annoys me . . .

Are you planning to speak to someone in Klingon using Morse Code?  Why?

SuStel
Stardate 98480.6

Back to archive top level