tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 17 07:32:19 1998

Re: SIS

In a message dated 98-06-15 20:49:31 EDT, SuStel writes:

> My own analysis, presented some time ago, suggests that the correct way to
> say "all of last week" is {Hogh vebHa' Hoch}.  Just as {nIn Hoch} means "all
> of the fuel" and not "every fuel," {Hogh Hoch} means "all of the week," and
> not "each week."

Not to beat a dead targ, but I still think {naQ} is more appropriate here.
The analogy with {nIn} isn't completely relevant.  {nIn} is a non-quantified
mass noun: if you have a tankful of fuel and pour it into successively
smaller containers, you still refer to each portion as 'fuel', all the way
down to the level of molecules.  If you get another tankful, it's still all
just referred to as 'fuel'. {Hoch} seems appropriate to me; {nIn Hoch}
'of the mass of fuel under discussion, its entirety.'

{Hogh}, on the other hand, refers to one specific thing: a unit of time
made up of smaller units of time ({jaj}, {rep}, etc.). If you
break it down into parts of a week, you no longer refer to those parts as
a 'week', but as some smaller constituent unit or as a fraction of a week.
If you combine weeks, they don't make another week, but 2 weeks.
It is, so to speak, a container of time units, and when it's full, we call
it one week.  So, I would use {naQ} for it: {Hogh naQ} 'a complete
measure of that unit called a week'.  It's true this is redundant, since
if it's not a full week, it's not a week at all, but in that case, neither
{Hoch} or {naQ} should be used.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level