tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 17 07:31:23 1998

Re: tlhej

: ja' Edy:
: >In TKD K-E *tlhej* - accompany, is marked as verb
: >but in E-K it was marked as a noum.
: >I suppose it's a verb, but can anyone confirm it?
:
: The English word "accompany" is a verb.  The Klingon word {tlhej} is used
: as a verb in the proverb {QotDI' gheD tlhejbe' wamwI'} on page 161 of TKW
: and elsewhere.
:
: -- ghunchu'wI'

Okrand corrected the typographical error himself in HolQeD 2.4: it should be
a verb, which is how he has always used it:

HItlhej!  ST6 (untranslated)

HIja', HItlhej!
Yes, come with me! CK

HItlhej!
Come with me! PK

QotDI' gheD tlhejbe' wamwI'.
The hunter does not lie down with the prey. TKW

bIQongtaHvIS nItlhejchugh targhmey bIvemDI' nItlhej ghIlab ghewmey.
If you sleep with targs, you'll wake up with glob flies. TKW

tach vI'el, HItlhej.
Let's go to the pub. RT

In the same HolQeD 2.4 article, Okrand went on to say:

"In the sense of 'accompanied by', 'with' is usually translated by a phrase
employing the verb {tlhej}, 'accompany' ... Thus, 'I drink tea with Torg and
Maltz' would be: {Dargh vItlhutlhDI' mutlhej torgh matlh je}. (Literally,
'When I drink tea, Torg and Maltz accompany me.') or {Dargh vItlhutlh.
mutlhej torgh matlh je.} ('I drink tea. Torg and Maltz accompany me.') or
{Dargh vItlhutlh 'ej mutlhej torgh matlh je.} ('I drink tea, and Torg and
Maltz accompany me.')"

- Voragh
  Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level