tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 13:14:37 1998

Re: RE: List of Klingon fauna

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:56:50 -0700 (PDT) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> :> Both definitions of <pa'> are nouns. <pa'> - "there, over there,
> :> thereabouts (n)" (TKD).
> :
> :> pagh
> :
> : Ouch. My own word list agrees. I got the {adv} reference from
> : Holtej's pojwI'. Everyone else using pojwI' should take note of
> : this and edit your lexicon to correct it.
>
> Also correct {naDev} and {Dat}.  I had them listed as "adv." too for some
> reason - and I typed them into my own AKD myself without benefit of pojwI'.

Those are already correct in the pojwI' lexicon I have, and were
correct in my own AKD, which I also filled in before pojwI' was
a glint in Holtej's eye. Face it, when you fill in over 2,000
entries from several different sources, you make mistakes. I
don't know anybody's dictionary which is perfect. Certainly,
Okrand's isn't, though KGT is significantly improved over TKD.
The only blatant mistake I've seen in it was almost certainly
intentional, being the first word in the word list and all. And,
of course, the word is {bachHa'}, right?

> : Of course, I still think it SHOULD be an adverbial...
> :
> : But I accept it as a noun, even though it does imply an
> : locative concept which is basically adverbial in nature. It does
> : for locatives what {DaH} does for time stamps.
> :
> : If it really were a noun, you could put {-Daq} on it, right? And
> : it really could be the direct object of a verb. It could be a
> : subject of a verb, too.
>
> Even worse, {pa'} is specifically discussed by Okrand:
>
> "It is worth noting at this point that the concepts expressed by the English
> adverbs 'here', 'there', and 'everywhere' are expressed by NOUNS in Klingon:
> {naDev} 'hereabouts', {pa'} 'thereabouts', {Dat} 'everywhere'. These words
> may perhaps be translated more literally as 'area around here,' 'area over
> there,' and 'all places,' respectively. UNLIKE OTHER NOUNS, these three
> words are never followed by the locative suffix." (TKD p.27, emphasis added)
>
> Those darn exceptions!  We sometimes forget that Okrand built in a few
> curves, just to make it more "naturalistic".  A lesson for all of us:
> *Always* check TKD before making an ex cathedra statement -- Klingon grammar
> may not work the way you remember.

Yes, but without inaccurate memories, we'd have so much less to
argue about. maSuvchuqbe'chugh vaj chay' SuvwI'pu' DImoj?

> : charghwI'
>
> Voragh

charghwI'

Back to archive top level