tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 12:56:01 1998

RE: RE: List of Klingon fauna

charghwI'vo':

>> ghunchu'wI' jabbI'ID lughmoH charghwI':

>> >This one is sneaky in its weirdness. If you meant, "They do not
>> >very much dwell in a room," then this is correct. Meanwhile, if
>> >{pa'} is supposed to be "thereabouts", then it is an adverb
>> >(chuvmey} and not a noun, so it can't be the direct object of
>> >{Dab}. I'd either repeat {chal}, or omit it altogether. Using
>> >{pa'} as some sort of locative pronoun replacing {chal} may make
>> >sense in English, but it doesn't work in Klingon by any grammar
>> >we've been shown yet.
>>
>> Both definitions of <pa'> are nouns. <pa'> - "there, over there,
>> thereabouts (n)" (TKD).

> Ouch. My own word list agrees. I got the {adv} reference from
> Holtej's pojwI'. Everyone else using pojwI' should take note of
> this and edit your lexicon to correct it.

> Of course, I still think it SHOULD be an adverbial...

> But I accept it as a noun, even though it does imply an
> locative concept which is basically adverbial in nature. It
> does for locatives what {DaH} does for time stamps.

Here's the text from TKD: "It is worth noting at this point that the
concepts expressed by the English here, there and everywhere are
expressed by nouns in Klingon: {naDev} hereabouts, {pa'} thereabouts,
{Dat} everywhere. These words may be translated more literally as "area
around here", "area over there", and "all places", respectively. Unlike
other nouns, these three words are never followed by the locative
suffix."

> If it really were a noun, you could put {-Daq} on it, right?

Nope - see above. They can, however, take {-vo'}, and we have {naDevvo'
yIghoS} as canon in the useful phrases with useless typeface section of
TKD (the apparent space between the v's notwithstanding).

> And it really could be the direct object of a verb. It could
> be a subject of a verb, too.

> Just try to use it that way, though. It gets really ugly.

I do agree that they really don't usually make much sense as subjects or
objects. A noun meaning "area around here" can't DO much, or have much
done to it, but there are possibilities.

naDev vInguvmoH - I painted this area.
tuj pa' - It's hot there.
pa' naQ Qaw'chu' toQDuj - The bird of prey destroyed the entire area.

pagh

Back to archive top level