tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 07:57:47 1998

Re: SuvwI'bom

ja' ghunchu'wI':
> I actually have more of a problem with {Olaf 'oH pongwIj'e'} than I do
> with the "simple form" {Olaf jIH}.  The way I think of the "to be" use
> of pronouns, I like {pongwIj 'oH Olaf'e'} a lot better.  But I have no
> conclusive arguments that the other way around is wrong, of course.

I know, I know... another uninteresting grammar splitting...
but that's the way I learn languages...

how do you determine what is the subject in Klingon?
e.g. if I want to translate "I am the captain.", I'd say

{HoD jIH} if it answers "Who are you?" and

{jIH ghaH HoD'e'} if it answers "Who is the captain?"
("As for the captain, that would be me...")

i.e., I choose the known thing as the subject and the unknown
as the object. (Of course that's why {SoH 'Iv} confuses me :-)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level