tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 09 08:05:01 1998

Re: jabbI'ID cha'

You made no mistakes that I found. I offer suggestions on how
to say a couple things perhaps a little clearer.

According to [email protected]:

> pIj SaghItlhlaHbe' 'e' vIpay.  qaStaHvIS jav jar ropqu'taH SoSwI'.
> QapHa' tIqDaj.  wej Haq SIQta' 'ej Soch Hu' Haq loSDIch qaSlu'.

This works fine, though {wej Haq SIQta'} can be ambiguous, as
"She has not yet accomplished enduring a surgery..." The latter
clause disambiguates this, but that same clause could simply
replace this one. When you say that seven days ago, her fourth
surgery happened, you could as well just say:

SochHu' Haq loSDIch SIQta'.

That really contains all the meaning of both your sentences.

> QIt QapchoHmoHmeH jan tIqDajDaq lulan.

You correctly noted the way this misses your meaning. I'd try:

roD QapHa'mo' tIqDaj, nom 'Iw yuvqu'. QIt 'Iw yuvmeH jan 'ogh
Qel jonwI'. tIqDajDaq janvam lan HaqwI'.

> mul SoSwI'. 'oy' SIQ 'ej SuvtaH.
>
> I regret that I can't write often.  My mother has been very ill for the
> past six months.  Her heart is malfunctioning. She has endured three
> operations and the fourth occurs in seven days.  They are implanting a
> device to slow her heartbeat.  (Not a literal translation here. I
> suspect I really said "they place in her heart a device to make it
> change function slowly," but that isn't what I meant.) My mother is
> stubborn.  She endures the pain and continues to fight.
>
> Please correct my mistakes.

I didn't see anything that needed correcting.

> - qInSaD

charghwI'

Back to archive top level