tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 09 08:46:23 1998

Re: KLBC: Q on {-meH}

jIja':
> > my problem boils down to this:
> > if you don't think that {qaSuchmeH} modifies {'eb} here, then I
> > should be able to modify {'eb} without distorting the meaning of
> > the sentence, no?
> >
> > qaSuchmeH nargh paq vIlaDmeH 'eb.
> > "The opportunity for me to read a book escaped, in order that I visit you."

jang charghwI':
> This works for me.
> ..
nuqjatlh??

Unless you say that the intent of the opportunity's escaping was to
have me visit you. But then you should get the same meaning without
{paq vIlaDmeH}.

What would *{nargh qaSuchmeH paq vIlaDmeH 'eb} mean to you?
Or *{nargh paq vIlaDmeH qaSuchmeH 'eb} to exclude the possibility
of {qaSuchmeH} modifying {paq}...

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]