tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 02 06:03:46 1998

Re: KLBC: Q on {-meH} (was: long weekend with MO)

From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>I also
>pointed out that we've always had {Do'Ha'} "It is unfortunate" as a
complete
>thought in Klingon (from somewhere in TKD).  If this is not evidence of
>indefinite usage, what then does "it" refer to?

"It" is part of the English translation, not the Klingon sentence.  The
appropriate question to ask is, "What is the subject of {Do'Ha'}?"

The answer depends, of course, on the context.

valQIS: Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej.

Qugh: vaj Daleghpu' (?) (Requires an {-'a'}, but doesn't have one.  Not the
only time this has happened.)

valQIS: HISlaH jawwI'.

Qugh: Do'Ha'.

valQIS: jIyaj.

Assuming this is the verb in the first place, and not the adverbial (and it
certainly seems like the adverbial), what is the subject of {Do'Ha'}?
That's the same as asking the question, "What is unfortunate?"  The answer
is Valkris' having seen the Genesis information and the consequences of
this.  Is it necessary for Kruge to spell this out?  Of course not, and it
would make for lousy lines.  I mean, imagine this:

valQIS: Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej.

Qugh: vaj Daleghpu'

valQIS: HISlaH jawwI'.

Qugh: Daleghpu'mo' Do'Ha' SanlIj.  Do'Ha' qaHoHnIS.

Very neat and formulaic (like much of the conversation on the list), but
unnecessary.  You *know* what's "unfortunate."  Even the English translation
doesn't show Kruge saying *what* is unfortunate.  He simply says,
"Unfortunate!"  Once we know he's going to blow up the freighter, we all
know exactly what "Unfortunate!" is referring to.

SuStel
Stardate 98417.8

Back to archive top level