tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 02 06:03:44 1998

Re: Beginner's questions

From: Qov <[email protected]>

>At 17:26 98-05-31 -0700, qronaH wrote:

>}My next question concerns using I (capital "i"). Is there a simple way to
tell
>}the difference between the upper case "i" and the lower case "L"? Since I
have
>}to look up almost every word in the email messages a simple way to figure
out
>}if I'm looking for an "i" or an "L" would be helpful. BTW I'm not trying
>}change the way its written, just looking for any tips that might help me
tell
>}which letter I'm looking at.
>
>1. Change your mail program to use a font with serifs, Times Roman or
System
>work well.  I believe that sans serif Klingon is never ambiguous, but
>there's no need to torture yourself.

qronaH is using AOL, which does not yet allow the user to change fonts.  It
uses a sans serif font for e-mail.  AOL users have a number of choices:

(1) Use another service.  Not a likely choice for many.

(2) Copy all of your Klingon e-mail to text-reading programs which DO let
you use serif fonts, and read it there.  This can be clumsy and
time-consuming.

(3) Learn Klingon really fast, and you'll always know whether an "l" or an
"I" is meant.  (For some reason, though I don't read my Klingon mail on AOL,
I have never bothered to change my mail font from the default sans serif
one.  The only time I ever really had any trouble was in figuring out
DloraH's name.  I had to memorize how it was said aloud before I could
remember how it was spelled.)

(4) Wait and suffer until AOL 4.0 is released, which will have font-changing
capabilities.

I'm sure there are more possibilities.

>In my handwritten Klingon, {I} and {l} are indistinguishable and {'} is
>often long enough to be confused with either.  I like to write the
following
>chicken scratch. :)

My handwritten Klingon always includes the two horizontal bars on the "I".

SuStel
Stardate 98417.7

Back to archive top level