tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 18:20:33 1998

Re: long weekend with MO

From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>

>DloraH wrote:
>
>>SIS.  In a way everyone was correct with this one.  It rained a few times
>>during the weekend, so we were put into the situation to discuss it.
>>     SIS
>>     SISqu'
>>     SIStaH
>>     SISchoH
>>All correct.
>>SISlu', altho grammaticlly correct, he didn't particularly like.  Someone
>>COULD use it but to me it sounds like they skipped science class and don't
>>know what the subject is.

Um, that's all very well and good, but we DON'T know what the subject is.
All we know now is that there IS a subject, but not exactly what it is.

>>You can also give it an object and say things like the clouds rained down
>>cats and dogs. ...or something like that; you get the idea.

This is good to know.  But are you saying that "clouds" are a legitimate
subject?  Are they the ONLY allowed subject?  Can the subject be anything
which might be regarded as the source of rain?

>>But when Marc and I went outside and drops of water were falling on us, he
>>looked up and simply said "SIS".
>
>"Everyone was correct" except those insisting - for reasons known only to
>them - that Klingon requires an overt subject like the awkward *{SIS muD}
or
>the better, if equally wrong, *{SIS chal} or *{SIS 'engmey}.

According to what DloraH has said, {SIS} DOES need a subject, and that the
subject to any Klingon who's taken elementary science classes.  Just because
you can elide the subject (something which most everyone thought to be true,
anyway) doesn't mean that the subject is a sort of "default" subject.  It
may even be that Klingons never do state the subject, but it seems like
there still is one.  What exactly is it?

>I wanted to stay
>out of that particular argument since we had no canon either way for any
>sort of weather talk.  Now we do.

The canon shows us how it's done, but not why it's done.  It also doesn't
tell us what's not done, except for the indefinite subject.

SuStel
Stardate 98414.3

Back to archive top level