tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 20 22:42:24 1998

RE: KLBC - mu'tlheghmey *random* vIchenmoH

---Burt Clawson  wrote:

> > KLBC - mu'tlheghmey *random* vIchenmoH.

> Sun Hutlhmo' ghaH vIra'pa' DoS Qaw'pu'.
> "Because he lacks discipline, he has destroyed the target before I
commanded
> him."
 maj.

> wa' vI'Daq ghomchuqlaH cha' tlheghmey Don 'e' DaHarchugh mujchu'
> mI'QeDqoqlIj.
> "Your so called mathematics are completely wrong if you think two
parallel lines can meet at a single point."

/vI'/ means "point" as in the verbal symbol of separation between a
whole number and a decimal fraction.  We have no idea what the written
symbol for /vI'/ is for Klingons and there is no reason to assume it
is a dot, or is in any way related to the mathematical concept of a
point.  Careful as you look up the meanings of these words that you
get the right one.

I'd use /Daq/ or /DaqHom/ to represent the mathematical "point."

> SuvwI' van bom'e' bomtaH 'utlhpu' 'ej tIv'eghba'.
> "The officers are singing the warrior's anthem and obviously enjoying
> themselves."

Plural officers, one anthem.  /lubomtaH/.

> qatlh voQSIp ngaS QIm?  jISovbe'.
> "Why does the eg contain nitrogen?  I don't know."
maj.

> maqochwI' qoSDajvaD <Duj HeH> pongbogh Hew vInob.
> "I gave a statue called 'Ship's edge' to my buddy for his birthday."

I don't like this one.  I think one or more of us is getting tired.
The combination of /-Daj/ and the noun-noun possessive is as redundant
as "my buddy's his birthday."
Is /maqochwI' qoS/ the beneficiary of your action?
What does /<Duj HeH> pongbogh Hew/ actually mean?

> jItetlI'!  nuq qo'.  nuq qo'.
> "I'm melting!  What a world. What a world."

"What" in "what a world" is not a question.  /nuq/ is a question.
Please figure out what "what a world" actually means and translate that.

> ta' Datlhu''a'?
> "Did you tempt the emperor?"
/tlhu'/ is "be tempted".  /tlhu'moH/ is the verb you need.

> Doq toDSaH 'ach chIS.
> jolvoy' vItI'DI' ghe'torDaq qaQol.
:)

==