tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 23 18:17:00 1997

KLBC: -ghach

I don't like -ghach. I never use -ghach. I don't really feel confident
anyone knows how it is correctly used. In TKD we see the only canonical
use
of -ghach I've seen.

lo' = make use of (v)/use (n)
lo'laH = be valuable (v)/ lo'laHghach = value (n)
lo'laHbe' - be worthless (v)/lo'laHbe'ghach = worthlessness (n)

naD = commend (v)/commendation (n)
naDHa' = discommend (v)/naDHa'ghach = discommendation (n)
naDqa' = re-commend (v)/naDqa'ghach = re-commendation

In most of these (perhaps all - it may escape my evaluation) the
resulting
*-ghach* noun bears the same relationship to the suffixed verb as the
homonous noun and verb. Is it safe to assume that this is a trend that is
'regular'?

exs. Qob = be dangerous (v)/danger (n)
QobHa' = be safe / QobHa'ghach = safety (n)??

DuH = be possible (v)/possibility (n)
DuHqa' = be again possible (v) / DuHqa'ghach = renewed possibility (n)

If it's accepted, this helps in one odd problem - there is no noun *bIr*
match to the verb/noun combo tuj. But we could use tujHa'ghach...

*nep*, too, is a verb-only word - but the noun "falsehood" could be
vIpHa'ghach...

How about chav = achieve (v)/achievement (n)
chavlaH = be able to achieve(v)/chavlaHghach = potential (n)???

I still don't like -ghach - but in time, I may learn to live it.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level