tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 23 15:17:31 1997

Re: KLBC: Verbs as Adverbs

At 12:33 PM 9/23/97 -0700, Qov wrote:
>lab Dawut:
>
>>*jatmey*vaD lutmey vIglhItlh 'e' vIqeq.
>
>lut Daqon.  You're referring to the process of composing the story,
>not of marking it down.  {ghItlh} refers to the physical act of
>making marks, not to the mental act of composing that we call
>"writing" in English.  Use {qon} for that meaning.
>
>>Qup tlhInganvetlh == That Klingon is young.
>>subject == tlhInganvetlh "that Klingon" { tlhIngan+vetlh (N4) }
>>verb == Qup "be young"
>>object == none
>
>bIpojchu'pu'.  pup.

[...]

We should point out to Dawut that none of the examples he
has given here are actually adverbs.

{Qup tlhIngan} uses {Qup} as a predicate, or descriptive verb.

{muqIp tlhInganvetlh Qup} uses {Qup} adjectivally.

We don't actually have any way to use descriptive verbs as
adverbs, except maybe by a kind of paraphrase:

{QeHtaHvIS ghaH muqIp tlhIngan Qup}
"While angry, the young Klingon hit me"
"The young Klingon angrily hit me."

I don't think Dawut's native language is English, so I
just thought I'd point this out.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711

Back to archive top level