tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 23 15:40:01 1997

Re: HIvqa' veqlargh! (Re: Hoghvam vIttlhegh)

lab bI'reng
>qon SuStel:
>> [email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
>>> -Hurgh Qaw'be'bogh wov'e' 'oH teH.-
>>
>>{wov} is not a noun. {teH} is not a noun. If {Hurgh} is treated as
>>noun it means "pickle."
>
>So... basically I talked about a pickle that isn't destroyed, and
>followed with a bunch a nonsense...

batlh QaghlIj DachID.

>I knew verbs can be used as nouns to a LIMITED extent.

What we actually know is that there are a large number of verbs that
are identical to corresponding nouns.  {Sov} know/knowledge,
{Qagh} err/error, {QaH} help/help, for example.  We also have words
like {Hurgh} pickle (n)/be dark (v) and {Dub} back (n)/improve (v)
that mean completely different things as verbs and nouns.

>I wanted to avoid the whole business
>with -ghach, since I don't completely understand it.

{-ghach} is a very nice tool in its place and it can be used to
create some wonderful nouns that require whole sentences in English.
The problem that gets {-ghach} all the bad press is people who lazily
try to use it to make noun-centric Klingon, instead of stretching
their minds to recast to a verb-centric mindset.

>Now for *Hurgh.* I didn't want to
>use -wI' because that means "thing/person who is dark."

Right.

>- bIQ QaDmoHbe'bogh tuj'e' 'oH vIt.-
>Truth is the heat which does not dry the water.

In a pronoun-as-'to be' construction the noun after the pronoun must
take the topicalizing suffix {-'e'}.

bIQ QaDmoHbe'bogh tuj'e' 'oH vIt'e'

>qatlho' 'ej qar vIttlheghvam 'e' vItul

wa' nuv neH Datlho'be'mo', {Satlho'} Dalo'nIS.

- Qov

Back to archive top level