tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 23 15:10:00 1997

Re: KLBC: better

lab Edy:
>> For better you could say {Dubpu'}, to show it had improved, or
>>{qaq} preferable.
>
>And how can I say: I want to better myself
>(jIDubpu'egh vIneH) ?

{Dubpu'} is simply the verb {Dub} with the perfective suffix {-pu'}
indicating completion.  {Dubpu'} "It has improved it."  It is a good
verb to use to talk about improving or bettering yourself, but one
wouldn't normally use the perfective in a construction like yours,
and one *certainly* wouldn't put the V1 suffix {'egh} (note the {'})
after the V7 suffix {-pu'}.

{jIDub'egh vIneH}  - "I want to improve myself."
{laHwIj vIDub vIneH} - "I want to improve my ability."
{jIDub'eghpu'} - "I [will] have improved myself."

- Qov

Back to archive top level