tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 28 13:23:17 1997

Re: KLBC: better

>> For better you could say {Dubpu'}, to show it had improved, or {qaq}
>> preferable.

Remembering that {Dub} means "improve (something else)", there probably
should be a {-lu'} here:  {Dublu'pu'} "one has improved it."

Eduardo Fonseca writes:
>	And how can I say: I want to better myself
>	(jIDubpu'egh vIneH)  ?

{Dubpu'} is a verb with a type 7 suffix on it; {-'egh} is type 1 and must
precede {-pu'}.

The earlier suggestions were for how to translate a comparitive adjective
"better", as in "its goodness has increased, it is better."  But for the
English *verb* "better", I think {Dub} "improve, make better" is perfect.
In fact, I've just added "better" to the definition of {Dub} in my pocket
dictionary.

{jIDub'egh vIneH} "I want to better myself."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level