tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 19 11:27:17 1997

Re: [KLBC] RHOTS

Tad Stauffer wrote:
>In a message dated 97-09-19 01:20:42 EDT, SuStel wrote:
>
>> Also, {lo'laH} is a verb, and needs a prefix. {jIlo'laHqu'} "I'm really
>> valuable!" / "I'm worth millions!"

lugh SuStel.  I missed that one.

>The definition for this verb (lo'laH - be valuable) seems to be a bit
>misleading, and has confused me in the past. In section 4.2.10, page 46 of
>TKD, {lo'laH} is actually used:
>vIlo'laHbe' - they are useless to me, [literally] "I cannot use them"
>So the object of {lo'laH} is the thing that is valuable/useable, and the
>subject is who can use it. This makes sense; the gloss given in the word
>list is merely inaccurate. So {jIlo'laHqu'} means that things in general are
>valuable for me, or I can use something (which is unknown). The {-qu'} at
>the end of {-laH} might indicate that things are valuable (CAN be used), but
>you don't necessarily take advantage of their value.
>To say "I'm really valuable" using {lo'laH}, I'd probably say {mulo'laH
>vay'}, or if you really want, {vIlo'luH} or {vIlo'la'}. However, "Someone
>can use me" seems odd to me, so something along the lines of {jIpotlhchu'qu'}
>might be better.

Fascinating speculation, but I think you are chasing wild geese as opposed
to wild sarks.

There is a Klingon verb {lo'} meaning use, and a Klingon verb {lo'laH} meaning
valuable.  The verb {lo'} may (and in 4.2.10 does) take the suffix {-laH},
be able to.

jIlo'laH  - I am valuable
vIlo'laH  - I can use it
lo'laH    - "he/she/it/they is/are valuable" OR
             most combinations of "he/she/it/they can use it/them/him/her"

It looks like {lo'laH} acquired the meaning 'able to *be* used' without
losing its original meaning of 'able to use.'  Or perhaps the verb
'valuable' used to be somewhat similar, but unrelated to {lo'laH}, but
people started to pronounce it {lo'laH} because of the related meaning.

It's very simple to see which to translate it as: if it takes an object then
say 'use' but if it has no object or is used statively, say 'valuable.'

> Speaking of {-lu'} and {-laH}, note also that both syllables of {Qapla'}
> can now be analyzed: "Success is possible," or "One is able to win."

Might be.  Might not be.  Maybe {la'} is an old form of {-jaj}.  Maybe it's
from a story where the commander succeeds.  Maybe {la'} is an old form of
{-ghach} that didn't sound funny without intervening suffixes.  Maybe the
whole word is lifted from the ancient Zaragian expression "gupler" meaning
"don't forget to write."  We simply don't have enough information to know.

I remember analyzing English words as a kid and deciding that the word
'suicide' meant sue-aside: no one could sue you because you would be dead.

-Qov.

Back to archive top level