tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 19 12:15:25 1997

Re: [KLBC] RHOTS

At 11:36 97-09-19 -0700, muHwI' wrote:

}>>ghItlh Duncan:
}>>>'anSisHo (how do I get a "Fr") pItlha'ro!
}>>>Fransisco Pizarro!
}>>
}>>jang Qov:
}>>>I'd use {vIr} if I had to transliterate.  But *Fransisco* is
}>>>preferable.
}>>
}>>What about Hamlet's {veranchISqo} ?
}>
}>The Hamlet translation has a very particular purpose.  Look at the FAQ on
}>transliteration.
}
}I know the FAQ.
}
}>Essentially, the point is that... [long text] ...same word.
}>~mark
}
}So in short you're saying that nobody would think at "Fransisco" when reading
}*veranchISqo* except if'd read it in Hamlet.

If I had already figured out that SIpayIn (or whatever he used) was supposed
to be Spain, and if I knew enough about Spanish names to know of the
existance and pronunciation of the name Fransisco, then yes, I might, after
a moment, deduce that this was Francisco.  I could tell immediately from the
shape of the word that it was not native tlhIngan Hol, so most likely I
would just skip it, the part of my brain parsing the sentence labelling it
'foreign name in V.'  If there were numerous foreign names in V I might go
back and figure out which was which, or I might just say 'to heck with it'
and click the trash can icon to get the next message.

Transliterations are a pain.  They aren't cute.  They help no one learn
Klingon. They usually don't even look like Klingon, any more than the
Russian to English transliteration "Shchekharov" looks like English.  The
only reason to do them is "makes me feel smug and my friend who is looking
at my screen can't see any English at all."
---
Qov               [email protected]            tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'

Back to archive top level