tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 18 00:38:30 1997

Re: KLBC: lutthlaq Saja'

At 07:43 PM 9/17/97 -0700, Scott D. Randall wrote:

>to'qegh'Iwchab thlobmeH loD.

It's {ro'qegh'Iwchab}.

Now I know you are saying "A man asked for Rokeg blood pie," but the {-meH}
suffix doesn't mean "for" in that way.  Your phrase actually reads: "For a
man to ask Rokeg blood pie" or "In order for a man to ask Rokeg blood pie."
The simplest way to do this is probably:

ro'qegh'Iwchab vIneH jatlh loD - A man said he wanted rokeg blood pie.
(literally: A man said, I want rokeg blood pie).

>qagh qem vutwI'.

majQa'.  I suppose in a small restaurant the {vutwI'} (food preparer, cook)
would bring the food.  It might be better to use {jabwI'} (food server, waiter)

>to'qegh'Iwchab qathlobpu'meH jatlh loD.

Again, {ro'qegh'Iwchab} and again, not the right use for {-meH}.

ro'qegh'Iwchab vIneH qajatlh jatlh loD
The man said, "I told you I wanted rokeg blood pie."

>ghobe' jatlh vutwI'.

pup.

>qagh tuthlobpu'meH.

Same correction with {-meH}.  And {tu-} would have been the wrong prefix in
any case.  {tu-} is you (plural)--me.  Probably you read the wrong line in a
table.

qagh vIneH chojatlh  - You said to me that you wanted {qagh}.

(Get it everyone?  "You said you wanted {qagh/Qagh}" : you wanted a mistake.
So the cook made a mistake and brought him {qagh}.  This is wonderfully
backwards, because the man asked for blood pie, not {qagh}, or {Qagh}, but
for some reason, possibly related to how late it is, I find it hysterically
funny.  I think it's twisted enough to be a real Klingon joke.  It's going
right up there with {ghobe' SuD} in my list.

Scott, jIHaghqu'.  majQa'. It is this sort of thinking about Klingon words
and playing with them that will help you to learn.  You have to think in
Klingon to get this.  tlhaQqu'.  I haven't explained things very thoroughly
here (I think I'm too busy laughing): please follow up and ask, if you're
not sure why I did something.

Oh, your subject: should be {lut tlhaQ Saja'}.  "Funny" not "clock" and two
separate words.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level