tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 04 14:38:48 1997

Re: KLBC:DuSaQDaq

[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
> At 08:06 PM 9/3/97 -0700, jeyD wrote:
>
> >ma'Hu' DuSaQDaq jIjaHchoH.
> >Today I went (back) to school.
>
> {wa'Hu'}: w not m.

{wa'Hu'} would be fine for "yesterday."  The English translation says "today,"
which would be {DaHjaj}.  Pick one.

>  "go to school" is an English idiom meaning attend school.
> "I would translate {DuSaqDaq jIjaHchoH} as "I set off for school" not, as
> you intended, "I started the routine of attending school."
>
> Perhaps {jIjaHqa'taH} or {jIchegh} - but as far as we know these refer to
> your going to the physical building of the school, and it's not the going --
> the busing, walking or biking -- that you're talking about here, it's the
> being there, right?  How about something like:
>
> wa'Hu DuSaQDaq jIHqa'.  - Yesterday I resumed being at school.

Since Klingon doesn't seem to have a word for "attend," I think the best way
to say this would be

wa'Hu' DuSaQDaq jIHaDqa'
Yesterday I resumed studying at school.

--