tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 04 00:37:52 1997

Re: KLBC:DuSaQDaq

At 08:06 PM 9/3/97 -0700, jeyD wrote:

>ma'Hu' DuSaQDaq jIjaHchoH.
>Today I went (back) to school.

{wa'Hu'}: w not m.  "go to school" is an English idiom meaning attend school.
"I would translate {DuSaqDaq jIjaHchoH} as "I set off for school" not, as
you intended, "I started the routine of attending school."

Perhaps {jIjaHqa'taH} or {jIchegh} - but as far as we know these refer to
your going to the physical building of the school, and it's not the going --
the busing, walking or biking -- that you're talking about here, it's the
being there, right?  How about something like:

wa'Hu DuSaQDaq jIHqa'.  - Yesterday I resumed being at school.

(See section 6.3 on 'to be at a place')

>DuSaQDaq jIjaHpu'DI' juHwIjDaq jIjaH vIneH.
>As soon as I went to school I wanted to go home.

{paw} is a better verb than the first {jaH} here.

>DuSaQ vIpar.
>I don't like school.

qar.

>jIghoj vIparHa'. 'ach DusaQDaq jIghoj vIpar.
>I like learning, but not in a school.

For all verbs except {neH}, if you want to make something expressed by
another verb the object of the sentence, you need the sentence as object
construction.

See TKD 6.2.5 and ask me to help if the explanation there is unclear to you.

{jIghoj 'e' vIparHa'} and the same for {par}.  Also {DuSaQ}. Got to hit that
shift key.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level