tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 13 18:21:02 1997

Re: KLBC: mu'tlheghmey maSwovvo'

At 12:05 97-10-13 -0700, maSwov wrote:
}Qov
}mu'tlheghmey vImughta' 'e' chonobpu': (should <pu'> be a <ta'> as well?)

It should be neither.  See section 6.2.5.  The second verb never takes an
aspect suffix in this construction.

}she deceives me. I like her. - mutoj. vIparHa'.
}I will ridicule you. You expected it. - qanus.  DapIH.
}He sees the flag.  He sees their stars. - joqwI' legh.  Hovmeychaj legh.
}I am superior.  You are boring. - nIvjIH.  DaSoH.

Oops.  WHat happened here?  You need verb prefixes to represent the subjects
of these sentences, and pronouns are never objects.  Try this one again.

}You pay me.  He shoots me. - choDIl.  Dubach.

That's "he shoots you."  "He shoots me" is {mubach}.

}I hate you all.  You all annoy me. - Samus.  tunuQ.
}This sentance tests your ability. - (it did!) - laHlIj Dutob mu'tlheghvam.

Even though your ability is associated with you, it isn't a second person
object.  It's third person.  {laHlIj tob mu'tlheghvam}

}The so-called death frightens Targlets. - targHommey *verb* Heghqoq
}                                                        |
}                                  couldn't find 'frighten' in TKD.
}                                 there would be no prefix

The verb is {ghIj}.

}Your cadets saw an apparent enemy. - jaghHey legh mangHomra'.

That says "your cadet saw an apparent enemy."  The plural suffix is
unnecessary, but to have a plural sense you must use the right verb prefix.

jaghHey lulegh manHomra'.

}A genuine emergency has occured. - qas chachna'.

Has occured, present tense sentece speaking of an action completed at the
time of the sentence. That's when you use the perfective.  {qaSpu' chachna'}
{qaS chachna'} is "a genuine emergency occured" (or "occurs"  or "will occur")

}mutlheghmey vI'oghta':
}Your major error shocked me - lIjqagh'a' muyay'.

{qagh}  (prepared worm) should be {Qagh} (error)
{-lIj}  (noun suffix: your) should go at the END the noun.
{-'a'}  (noun suffix: augmentative) should precede {-lIj}
{yay'} means "be shocked"  To make it "cause to be shocked" add {-moH}.
{muyay'moH} should come before its subject.

muyay'moH Qagh'a'lIj

}You injured my foot.  I injured your arms. - qamwI' chorIQ.  lI'DesDu qarIQ
}	(i used 'injured me/you', should it be 'injured it/them'?)

Yes it should be. Plus, even though your foot is attached to a speaking
being, it is not itself one. {rIQ} means "be injured".  To make it "injure",
"cause to be injured" ad the {-moH} suffix.  Read about {-moH} in section
4.2.4.  Often in English the same verb means to have some condition or do
some action yourself, OR to make that condition occur in something else.  "I
walk"  "I walk the dog" "I relax"  "I relax my husband."  Some verbs you
can't do this with: "I learn"  but "I teach you" not "*I learn you" and "I
die" but "I kill you" not "I die you."  In Klingon most verbs can't have
both the transitive and intransitive meaning, until we add {-moH}.  {jIleS
'ej loDnalwI' vIleSmoH}  {jIyIt 'ej targh vIyItmoH} {jIghoj 'ej ghojwI'
vIghojmoH} {jIHegh 'ej qaHoH} -- Note that last one. Not entiiirely regular.
But better than English!

Try this one again, now that you know about {-moH} and will put your
suffixes in the right place.

}This so-called weapon is useless. - lI'be'qu' nuHqoqvam.
qar. "Really useless."

}That child looks for his shoes. - Dajwaqmey puqvetlh.

You've left out the verb, "look for" and there's that type 4 suffix on the
front of the noun again.

}The big boss has spies everywhere. - ghoqwI'mey ghaj pIn'a'.
}We saw them steal the weapon. - nuH lunIH 'e' wIlegh.
majQa'!

}I burnt myself and it hurts. - jImeQ'egh 'ej 'e' mu'oy'.

Not the right use of {'e'} here.  Engrave on your forehead "{'e' is used for
sentence-as-object, only."  (Once you have enough things engraved on your
forehead you'll have ridges and be able to speak perfectly).  In the
sentence {mu'oy'}, "I" is the object.  The subject is jImeQ'egh.  We don't
HAVE a construct for "sentence-as-subject."

Try: {jImeQ'egh vaj jI'oy'taH} - I burned myself, therefore I am in pain.

}You all heard me hit the child and I don't care. -
}	puq vIqIp 'e'boQoy 'ej  jISaHbe'qu'
}                               |
}                        should there be <'e'> here?

Definitely no {'e'} there.  You missed a space beteen {'e' boQoy}.
You definitely DO know how to use {'e'} for sentence as object.  Just
restrict its use to places where a sentence is actually the object, and
you'll be doing very well.

}A short story:
}
}verengan ja' tlhIngan                       - the Klingon reports to the
}Ferengi

This could also be, "the Klingon says 'Ferengi'."

}vIbej                                       - I watch them

This could also be "I watch him/her/it."  I suggest a pronoun here, for clarity.
{chaH vIbej.}

}tachdaq luyIt 'ej vItlha'                   - they walk to a bar and I follow
}                                                                       them

A noun with a locative suffix is not the object of a verb.  The verb {yIt}
should here have the form for "they walk" not "they walk it."  Always cap {D}.

{tachDaq yIt 'ej vItlha'}

}jI'Ij tlhutlhvIS 'ej nabwI' jI'ogh          - I listen while they drink and I
}                                                              devise my plan

See the bottom of p. 43. Always when you use {-vIS} you must also use
{-taH}.  It isn't as explicit as it could be. Note that "plan" is not a
speaking being, so "my plan" is {nabwIj}.  ANd {nabwIj} is the object of the
verb {'ogh} so the I-it prefix is required.  {jI'Ij tlhutlhtaHvIS 'ej nabwIj
vI'ogh}

}pay' verengan vIDuQ - "jaghwI' SoH!" jIjach! - suddenly I stab the Ferengi -
}                                             "you are my enemy!" I shout!

lughchu'.

}vaj tlhIngan vIDuQ - "maghwI' SoH!"         - then I stab the Klingon -
"you are                                                                a
traitor!"
majQa'.  I like the way {maghwI'} and {jaghwI'} rhyme, even though in one
case the suffix means "one who does" and in the other is the possessive.

}yavDaq lupum                                - they *both* fall to the
ground   }(how do I say *both*?)

You now know from above that yavDaq isn't the object of pum, so you can't
use the {lu-} prefix to clarify the idea of both.  Try either:
{yavDaq pum cha'} or {yavDaq pum chaH}.  Both make it clear that it is they
or the the two that fall.  {cha'} is probably closer to "both."

}vIHoHta'. SuvwI' yoHjIH.            - I have killed them.  I am a brave
warrior.

Don't forget the space {SuvwI' yoH jIH}

Daj.  Interesting.  Some really good sentences.  Some inconsistencies where
you seemed to have an idea .. and then you lost it again.  laHlIj
Da'ItlhmoHbejlI'. bIqImnIStaH, qar'a'?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level