tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 13 16:12:12 1997

Re: Requiem -

At 12:00 97-10-13 -0700, edy wrote:
}> You'd have to say something like "Save them so they do not fall into the
}> black holes of the netherworld." or "Take them out of the black holes of the
}> netherworld."
}
}qa'pu' yoH tItoD 'ej ghe''orDaq luSpetvo' chaH tIteq
}(Save the brave spirits and take them off from the black holes of the
netherworld)

Simply {ghe''or luSpetvo'}  - the black holes of the netherworld.

}> }veqlargh pachDu'vo' tItoD ghe'torDaq DoHmeH
}> }(Save them from the fek'lih claws in order to get them away from Gretor)
}>
}> Remember that a {-meH} clause alays needs to come before the main clause.
}> {ghe'torDaq DoHmeH} would mean "in order that they back away *to* ghe''or."
}> You need the suffix indicating motion _away from_: {ghe'torvo' DoHmeH} or
}> maybe {DoHmoHmeH} depending on whether you want to imply that the lord will
}> cause them to back off or just make conditions such that they will back off.
}
}ghe'torvo' DoHmeH veqlargh pachDu'vo' tItoD
}vaj yo'qIj ghoS Dujchaj
}Hoch Qo'noS juHmeyvaD Dalay'pu'
}qa'pu' quvvo' DaHev
}'u' buy'moH quvlIj
}Dochmey Do' junob
}qo' HeS teqbogh qeylIS betleH'e', tIleSmoH
}taHjaj Dawovlu',  joHwI' quv

}> Almost.  When you use {-lu'} the verb's object is represented by what would
}> normally be the third person object prefix for a subject of the same person
}> as the object of the verb with {-lu'}.  vIleghlu' - I am seen  wIleghlu' -
}> we are seen leghlu' - he/she/it is seen luleghlu' - they are seen.
}
}	In this case, I have to write {taHjaj Dawovlu'} ?

bIlugh.  Or if it were a toast, {Dawovlu' taHjaj}, because of the tradition
for sentence order in toasts.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level