tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 12 19:46:21 1997

Re: KLBC: Little text

[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
> At 10:30 97-10-07 -0700, edy wrote:
>
> }	1863 DIS, *Lindembrock* ghojmoHwI' vavwI' loDnI', nom *Hamburgo*Daq
> }juHHomDaj cheghchoH.
>
> We don't know how to say "in <a year>."  It could be the way you did it, but
> it could be many other ways.  We DO know how to say "<n> years ago."  Use
> that.

Sure, we know how to say "in <a year>."  It's a timestamp, like any other.

tera' DIS wa' chorgh jav wej *Gettysburg* SoQ jatlh *Lincoln*.
Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address in 1863.

{nem} "years ago" is a timestamp too, not some magical formula.  You stick it
at the beginning where you stick all time references.

wa'leS jIleS.
I will relax tomorrow.

tera' DIS wa' Hut Soch wej jIbogh.
I was born in 1973.

wa'maH Soch vatlh rep jIvumchoH.
I start working at five o'clock.

wa'ben taghwI'pu' pabpo'wI' vIgheS.
One year ago I became the Beginners' Grammarian.

Every one is a time reference, and treated in the same way.

> Verbs of saying do not take {'e'} or {-'egh} when describing what was said.
> I guess you're saying "I said to myself"  We used to say we didn't know
> about this, but as the prefix of a verb of saying clearly can denote the
> person spoken to, I'm going to say this is a reasonable extension.

It's possible, but Okrand says nothing on this subject.  Why not use the
Perfectly Valid and Canonically Supported {jIja''egh} "I tell myself"?

> > lojmIt poDmoH *Martha* 'ej tlhob:
> }- *Lindembrock* bIpawta''a' ? wej cha'rep 'oHbe'.
> }- qatlh 'eqqu' bIchegh ?

> Verbs cannot be used as adverbs. {'eqtaHvIS} "while it is early" would work.

While WHAT is early?  Our first glimpse of this verb was not in the
dictionary, it was used in an example by Marc Okrand: {'eq} "She is early."
If a person is early, she is ahead of schedule.  {paS}, too, means "He is
late," which only makes sense to me as meaning that he is behind schedule.
These verbs COULD have other meanings, such as {'eq} "Whatever it is I'm
talking about has just begun and hasn't gotten very far yet," which is what
you've said, but there's no evidence of that.

SuStel
Stardate 97781.8

Back to archive top level