tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 18:54:13 1997

Re: KLBC: Little text

At 10:30 97-10-07 -0700, edy wrote:

BTW: in a long text I can't explain things as well, just point out problems.
with just a few sentences I can spend more time on each point.

}	1863 DIS, *Lindembrock* ghojmoHwI' vavwI' loDnI', nom *Hamburgo*Daq
}juHHomDaj cheghchoH.

1863 years Lindembrock's teacher's uncle (or the Lindembrock teacher's
uncle) quickly began to return his home to Hamburgo.

We don't know how to say "in <a year>."  It could be the way you did it, but
it could be many other ways.  We DO know how to say "<n> years ago."  Use that.

The object of the sentence, unless flagged with {-'e'} must follow the
chuvmey, such as {nom}, and the nouns with type-5 suffixes.  If you meant
"set out to return to his apartment in Hamburgo" then either {HamburgoDaq
juHHomDajDaq}  or Hamburgo juHHomDajDaq} "to his Hamburgo home"

> wej Soj vutbe' *Martha* 'e' vIja''egh vaj jIjatlh'egh: ghungchugh vavwI'
loDnI' vaj jachba' ghaH.

"Martha didn't yet not prepare food that I reported myself thus I said to
myself 'If my uncle is hungry then he will yell'."

{wej} already has the negative incorportated in it.  {wej vut} "Doesn't cook
yet" "didn't yet cook" "will not cook yet"  If you mean that the meal as not
ready yet, the perfective would be appropriate: {wej Soj vutpu' *Martha*}
"Martha hadn't yet prepared the food."

Verbs of saying do not take {'e'} or {-'egh} when describing what was said.
I guess you're saying "I said to myself"  We used to say we didn't know
about this, but as the prefix of a verb of saying clearly can denote the
person spoken to, I'm going to say this is a reasonable extension.

{vut *Martha* jIja'} "I said Martha cooks."
{jIjatlh ghung vavwI'} "I said my father was hungry."

> lojmIt poDmoH *Martha* 'ej tlhob:
}- *Lindembrock* bIpawta''a' ? wej cha'rep 'oHbe'.
}- qatlh 'eqqu' bIchegh ?

Martha clipped the door and asked "Lindembrock you have arrived? It's not
yet two hours. Why he is very early you return?

typo on {poSmoH}
You need to use a suffix to explain the function of Lindembrock in the sentence.
{Lindembrockvo'}  "from Lindenbrock."
In {wej cha'rep 'oH} what is not yet two hours?
Verbs cannot be used as adverbs. {'eqtaHvIS} "while it is early" would work.

}- jatlhba' ghaH 'e' jIQub
I think s/he said it obviously.

}vutpa'Daq chegh *Martha* 'ej ba'pa'Daq jIratlh. vavwI' loDnI' QeH vIleghqang.

Marth returned to the kitchen and I stayed in the sitroom.  I was willing to
see my uncle's anger.

}- HIghoS, *Axel*  ghItlhpa' 'elDI' jatlhpu'.

He had spoken as soon as he came in, before he had written "Come here Axel."
or maybe
He had said "Come here Axel, before he writes, as soon as he comes in"
No idea what's intended here.

}pe'vIl jatlhqa'pu':- naDev HIghoS pagh HIghoSbe''a' ?
He had said again with force Come to me here or come to me here not?

An imperative can't be a question at the same time.

}loD QaQ *Oto Lindembrock*. tlhIl DuSaQDaq ghojmoHwI' ghaH'e'. Daqvetlh
}jaj cha'logh QeH mojchoH mu'mey jatlhlaHbe'chu'mo'.

Oto Lindenbrock good man.  He was a teacher in a mineral school.  That
site's day twice he started to become anger because he could completely not
say the words.

You need to use the pronoun in {loD QaQ ghaH *Oto*'e'} to make it a proper
sentence.  The {-'e'} on {ghaH} is unnecessary.

Not quite sure what you're saying, still.  I think I missed the point of te
story.  I took a long time to answer this because it i ard to respond to
something when I don't know what you're saying.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level