tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 12 19:46:02 1997

Re: choH yabwIj

[email protected] on behalf of William H. Martin wrote:
> This would not work according to our canon example (which I'm
> not going to remember) from one of the cards listed in HolQeD,
> in which a transitive verb had {-moH} added to it.

I am still less than satisfied with this.  Until we get more than one example,
of any grammatical feature, I am leary of using it regularly.  Your theory as
to what's going on in this card fits the facts, and may truly be right, but we
don't KNOW that yet.

> This is the same kind of perspective shift I had to go through
> when I first saw {-lu'} used with an intransitive verb.

I can see how transitive plus {-moH} can cause a perspective shift, but I've
always been confused as to why people have trouble with {-lu'} on intransitive
verbs.

Qatlhlu'
Something unspecified is difficult.

Qonglu'
Someone unspecified sleeps.

My only idea is that thinking of {-lu'} equalling English passive voice can
cause problems, in which case you mean that Klingon verbs which *translate*
into English intransitive verbs, and which have {-lu'} on them, don't you?

> Fortunately, most instances of {-moH} will be with intransitive
> verbs.

Thank Kahless!

SuStel
Stardate 97781.8