tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 11:29:46 1997

Re: First Contact

At 09:16 97-10-10 -0700, muHwI' wrote:
}<Hov leng: qep wa'DIch> bobejta' 'e' vItul.
}nuq jatlh wo'rIv pIqarD HoDvaD jatlhDI' <... SoHchugh vaj qaHoHqu'> ?
}
}I hope you've watched "Star Trek: First Contact".
}What exactly does Worf say to Picard in the scene:
}Picard: - You wanna blow up the ship and run away...you coward!
}Worf:   - If you were ... ... ..n, I would kill you were you stand!
}(I even didn't understand it in English.)

I think he says "If you were a Klingon then I would kill you where you stand."
That's definitely the idea.

}How can I express in Klingon the meaning of "if you WERE..., I WOULD..."?
}My above sentence translates as "If you ARE, then I WILL..."

Sometimes that's good enough.

chomaghchugh qaHoH - If you were to betray me I would kill you == If you
betray me I will kill you.

But you're right, in hypotheticals that couldn't happen, it doesn't work
well. We don't know of a specfic way to say "were ... would" like that in
Klingon.

ghunchu'wI' turns it backwards and says:

tlhIngan SoHbe'mo' qaHoHbe' - Because you're not a Klingon, I won't kill you.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level