tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 11:29:45 1997

Re: KLBC not agane maSwov

At 09:59 97-10-10 -0700, maSwov wrote:
}a tree becomes paper - sor moj nav
}the captain smells the shoe - waq largh HoD
}the bartender waits for the merchant ship - suyDuj loS chom
}the ambassador negotiates the treaty - mab Sutlh Duj'a'

Duy'a'.  You just said the mothership (or some other major ship) did the
negotiating.

}the Ferengi counts the money - Huch togh verengan
}a daughter buys clothing - Sut je' puqbe'
}the Klingon uses a sword - 'etlh lo' tlhIngan
}her husband drinks the solution - taS tlhutlh loDnalDaj
}Qov sees the error - Qagh legh Qov
}the technician enjoys the gossip - joS tIv chamwI'
}the opponant eats the pickle - Hurgh Sop ghol

tlhoS lughchu'.  SoHvaD ngeDqu'ba'.  yIqaD'egh.
Almost completely right.  Obviously they were too easy for you.  Challenge
yourself.

}these are two I made up:
}I wanted to see the game - Quj vIlegh 'e' vIneh
}	Umm...that's not right...I don't think you can use (neH) and ('e')
}	together.....would it be:
}	Quj vIlegh vIneh

Right.  Only don't forget capital {H} on {neH}.

}you saw me cook the dinner - 'uQ cholegh 'e' vIvut
}	is this the right use of ('e')?

Backwards, and a bit of a prefix problem, but if these were the sentences
you were referring to as too hard for you, they're NOT.  You need sentences
that are just hard enough that you make a mistake, but not so hard that you
can't understand the mistake.  If someone posts something with no mistakes,
I can't help them!

Think of sentence as object as two sentences.  That's what it is.  The first
is a perfectly normal sentence, with all the same rules for prefixes, word
order etcetera as any other sentence.  The second is another normal
sentence, except with the word {'e'} instead of another object.

You've written "The dinner you saw me.  I cook that."
You wanted: "I cooked the dinner. You saw that."

'uQ vIvut 'e' Dalegh.

Even though you are implying that the person saw you, what you are
grammatically saying they saw is an action, which is third person singular.

An interesting, beneficial and unexpected side effect of Qermaq's practice
sentences has been that people are learning what is easy and what is hard in
Klingon.  You folks seem to be getting better at making up examples suited
to your abilities.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level