tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 09 00:41:48 1997

Re: KBLC: *proverb* chu'

At 11:42 97-10-08 -0700, Scott wrote:
> ghItlh Qov:
>>Qermaq, ScottvaD ngeDqu' mu'tlheghmeyvam. ghaHvaD QatlhwI'mey
>> tIlI'. >:)
> Qermaq, these sentences are too easy for Scott. Give him toughies!

Damughchu'.

> tlhIngan Hol mangHom jIH! loQ mu'tlheghmey Qatlh vIneH
> (I am a Klingon language cadet! I want slightly difficult
> sentences.)
>
> I think {loQ} modifies vIneH here ("I kinda want difficult
> sentences.");

jIQochbe'.

> I want to modify {Qatlh}. I
> tried splitting the sentence up to use {'e'} ({loQ Qatlh
> mu'tlheghmey 'e' vIneH}), but I wasn't sure if {'e'} can be used
> with {neH}.

No, it can't be used with {'e'}.

> Should it be two completely separate sentences ({loQ
> Qatlh mu'tlheghmey. vIneH.})?

That would say "Sentences are somewhat difficult.  I want them."
Getting there, but not quite.

How about {QatlhchoHbogh mu'tlheghmey vIneH}?  You want sentences
that are starting to be difficult, that show a change to be a little
more difficult than the OVS practice with no-prefixes that you did.
Other possibilities: {Qatlhlaw'bogh mu'tlheghmey} {loQ muqaDbogh
mu'tlheghmey} {ngeDchu'be'bogh mu'tlheghmey}.  Matching expressions
between languages is a bit like fixing your Italian bicycle with a
U.S. wrench set: you have a range of options some of which kind of
fit, but it's not a really good idea to try to use them.

By the way, the classes of sentences Qermaq made for me, are, if I
remember right:

A OVS with no prefixes or suffixes
B OVS with prefixes but no suffixes
C OVS with suffixes, but no V9's or N4's.
D OVS with any suffixes, but not no major recasting required (no ship
in which he fled or cat in the hat constructs)
All with TKD vocabulary only.

The idea is to give something manageable to those people who always
manage to pick really tricky problems for themselves, before they
have the basics.  I think the best way for beginners to practice is
to look at some word or piece of grammar in the book and try to find
a way to use it, rather than deciding what you want to build and
looking for the right pieces.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level