tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 09 00:41:47 1997

Re: KLBC: practise (muHwI')

At 10:00 97-10-08 -0700, muHwI' wrote:
>> Looks pretty easy, but there's a trick:
>> The soldiers armed the torpedoes and concentrated on their
>> targets.
> ---> cha DeS negh 'ej ray' buS.

nItojlaHbe' wotmeywIj motlhbe' 'ach mu'tay' Qagh tlhaQ vIlegh.
porgh 'ay' neH 'oH DeS'e'.  In English "arm" is both a body part and
a verb meaning "prepare to fire." {ghuS} is the Klingon verb you need
instead of {DeS}.  'ej "_their_ targets" jIja'.  {-chaj} Danop.

>> A tough one:
>> The soldier will kill the scientist before the analysis is done so
>> that the truth he dreads will never be revealed.
> That's even tough for me in english!

Me too.  Took me a couple tries to write it.  English is so wordy. :)

> ---> poj rInpa' tej HoH mang vIt 'anglu'be'meH Hajbogh.

reH mu'tlhegh potlh nungnIS {-meH} ngaSbogh mu'tlheghHom.
The clause with {-meH} must always precede the main clause.  You've
got the right parts here, but a couple things mixed up.  I'll take
the English apart into separate sentences then put it back together
in Klingon so everyone can see what we're doing here.

"the soldier will kill the scientist"  {tej HoH mang}  - bIlugh
"before the analysis is done" {rInpa' poj} - notice that {rIn} is "be
finished" so the thing that is finished is the subject, goes after
{rIn}.
"the truth he dreads" {vIt Hajbogh} - you got this, but split it in
half.  Leave it together as one object of the verb.
"in order that ... is not revealed" {... 'angbe'lu'meH}
(I don't think it's a problem to have the {-be'} after the {-lu'} as
you did. MO does it.)

rInpa' poj vIt Hajbogh 'anglu'be'meH tej HoH mang

The {rInpa' poj} could also go after {vIt Hajbogh 'angbe'lu'meH} or
at the end of the sentence.  Only the {-meH} clause has to go before
the main verb.

>> Because you need practice getting your suffixes in the right
>> order:
>---> mojaqmeylIj DaDuDHa'chu' 'e' DaqeqnISmo'

jIHagh.  mu'meyvam Damugh 'e' vIHechbe'pu'.  'ach pup.
{DuDHa'chu'} - "completely unscramble"

>> If you continue to refuse be able to accomodate our minor emissary
>> we will most certainly make you come to regret that so-called
>> decision.

>Is that only one sentence? Did you miss a word?
"If you do X, we will do Y"  One sentence, just an admitedly very
ugly one.

> Or is it just me?
>---> 'oSwI'Homma' Dama'laHQo'taHchugh *decision*qoqvetlh
>pIpaymoHbej.

I intended {pIpaychoHmoHbejqu'} for "we will _most_ certainly make
you _come to_ regret."  A choice {wIv} is a decision.  And re-read
the section on rovers to see where to put {-Qo'}.  I know why you put
it where you put it, but that's not where it goes.

>> And an old one, that will make you laugh:
>> A farm obviously behaves as a great mind.
>---> yab'a' Daba' Du'.

> You really found my level-limit !

Heh, if you're not careful I'll have my husband make up sentences for
you to translate.  He comes up with things like:

"The picture of the ship in which I fled is on the glass table."
"The car from the future is faster than the car from the past."
"The three dark pickles haven't appeared yet because they escaped."

tlhIngan Hol jatlhQo' 'ach jIbeptaHvIS 'Ijqu'law' 'ej mu'tlheghmey
tlhaQ 'ej Qatlh chuplaH.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level