tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 09 00:41:41 1997

Re: KLBC: Requiem review

At 03:53 97-10-08 -0700, edy wrote:

}> }nuq jIjatlh. jIH QaH 'Iv jItoDlaHbe'chugh
}> }(What I will say? Who will help me if I cannot save myself)
}>
}> Don't forget verb prefixes.  "Who will help me?"  The subject is third
}> person and the object is me.  {jIH muQaH 'Iv}  "who will help ME?"
}
}	Okay. I'm not sure how to use the verb prefix of the subject of the
}sentence.

Treat {'Iv} like {ghaH} when choosing prefixes.

I'm not quite sure what information you're missing here, your verb prefixes
have been pretty good.  Someone will benefit from the full explanation even
if you don't need it.

For any verb you use, you must consider its subject, the thing(s) or
person(s) doing the action of the verb, and its object, the thing(s) or
person(s) getting the action of the verb done to him/her/it/them.  Then look
up the correct prefix in the table on page 33. Not all verbs have objects.
There is a column for "no-object" pronouns to take care of that.  Verbs with
the {-lu'} suffix don't have subjects.  See section 4.2.5 for that case.

Example:  "I help you"  Subject is "I"  Object is "you"  The prefixes for
subject "I" are in the first row of the table.  Going across the table I get
to {qa-} in the "you (singular)" object column. The verb "help" is {QaH}.
Therefore {qaQaH} means "I help you."

Example: "You and I will tickle the bug."  Subject "you and I" equates to "we".
Object "the bug" is an "it."  Go down the subject column to "we" and then
across the the "him/her/it" object column.  The prefix there is {wI-}.  So
the sentence is {ghew wIqotlh jIH SoH je}.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level