tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 08 01:45:50 1997

Re: KBLC: *proverb* chu'

At 20:18 97-10-07 -0700, Qermaq wrote:
}ghItlh Qov:
}
}>}*after all,*
}>}yuch parHa' tlhInganpu'
}>
}>Good word order, but look at the prefix table on page 33. A plural subject
}>with a singular noun needs the prefix {lu-}. {yuch luparHa' tlhInganpu'}.
}>(Note to nitpickers: yes, its possible that chocolate refers to the
}>individual pieces of chocolate, but *I* think it's a quantity noun like
}{nIn}.
}
}One could say that this sentence implies that yuch is intended as plural
}here. Since plural markers are *never* required, this sentence is
}equivalent to yuchmey parHa' tlhInganpu' - Klingons like chocolates.
}
}Many different kinds of chocolates - dark, milk, semi-sweet, etc. Although,
}raw unsugared chocolate is preferred, according to KGT.

I pre-emptively answered this in the original posting. I consider chocolate
to be a quantity noun, like {nIn} and would call the individual pieces {yuch
'ay'mey}.  If you're going to nitpick, nitpick on something I haven't
already acknowledged.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level