tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 08 01:45:48 1997

Re: KLBC: Requiem - Recordare/Concutatis/Lacrimosa

At 11:56 97-10-06 -0700, edy wrote:
}choSamlI'. maHvaD bIHeghta'. paghvaD bIHeghbe'ta'
}(You were looking for me. You died for us. You didn't died for nothing)

{Sam} is find.  There is another word for "look for, search."  Interesting
implication with {-ta'} that isn't in the original.

}quv noHwI', qaSpa' yoj jaj HoSmeywIj tIlIj
}(Honored judge, forgive my sins before the judgment day)

A stative verb modifying a noun must follow the noun: {noHwI' quv}. Nice use
of {-pa'}.  bIghojbejlI'!  Typo on {HeSmeywIj}.

}jIDIv jIlujpu'mo'. QeylIS joHwI', HoSmeywIj tIlIj
}(I am guilty because I'm failled. Kahless my Lord, forgive my sins)

{HoS} - power  {HeS} - crime

}pujwI' yemwI' joq bolIjpu'bogh, HIlIj
}(you, wich had forgoten the weakers and sinners, forgive me)

Two points here:
1. You've changed to talking about a plural "you" here: are you addressing
the Trinity, or did you make a mistake.  {bo-} -> you plural
2. We've been using {lIj} "forget" to translate "forgive" and in "forgive my
crimes" but you don't want to say {HIlIj} "forget me" in this context.
You'll have to come up with a way to express this.

}quv chovmey vIghajbe' 'ach choqIchQo'
}(I don't have great achievments, so, don't condemn me)

{chavmey quv}: spelling and word order.  Do you want to say "so" or "but"?
"Don't comdemn me" is a command: you need an imperative prefix on {qIch}.

}nIH DeSlIj choDev 'ej qIjyo' chomuv
}(Lead me on your right side and join me into the Black Fleet)

More imperative prefixes and a couple of N5 suffixes needed.  How will you say
"on" and "into"?

}nuchpu' tIpIch 'ej  yoHwI'pu' HIDev
}(Blame the cowards and lead me with the brave ones)

You've skiped the idea of "with." Figure out some way to express it.

}qa'wI' yIQorgh 'e' qaqoy'meH
}(I beg you in order that you take care my spirit)

Your English suggests you could use a purpose clause with {-meH}.  You could
continue to use 'e', but the construction is trickier and for starters you
need the correct prefix on {qoy'}.

}yoj jaj tu'lu'. jajvetlh Hoch qa' DanoHmeH DaghoS
}(Thre will be a judgment day. In that day you will come in order to judge
all spirits)

{bIghoS}  There doesn't seem to be anything appraoched, so the no-object
prefix is appropriate.

}Hoch tIlIj quv QeylIS joHwI'. ngeHbej roj yInob. Qapla'
}(Forgive them all, Kahless my lord. Give them the cosmic peace. Amen)

{Hoch} is gramatically singular, plus the problem of using {lIj} in
reference to a person instead of an act recurs.  Perhaps {laj} for this meaning.

{chaHvaD ngeHbej roj yInob} "give them the cosmic peace"
{Qapla'} works very well for Amen.

toH.  laHlIj DaDubtaH.  MUSHDaq Dughoj'a' ghunchu'wI' pagh nIteb bIHaDqu'?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level