tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 06 14:43:01 1997

KGT missing words and spelling discrepancies

I've just finished retyping the entire contents of the word lists in
TKD (plus Addendum) and KGT.  It's amazing how many little words are
in TKD that I hadn't noticed before!  Now I've gone through the whole
first half of the KGT text, looking for terms that aren't in the list
at the end of the book.  There are a lot of place names ({Qotmagh},
{taq'ev}, etc.) and person names ({ghIrIlqa'}, {qoleq}, etc.) that
don't really belong in a dictionary, but I also found a couple of real
words that aren't listed elsewhere, and a few combinations of words
that I think don't quite count as idioms.

On pages 47 and 50, the noun {vIq} "battle, combat" is presented,
referring to the abstract concept of battle in a similar sense as
{veS} "warfare".  I was rather surprised to find this omitted from
the vocabulary entries.

Page 79 calls a {ghItlhwI'} a "stylus", specifically indicating a
tool used to make marks of some sort.

Page 89 gives a compound noun {naHnagh} meaning "pit" (literally,
"fruit-stone").

The phrase {tlhach mu'mey} is translated as "jargon" on page 45.

Page 49 identifies a novel use of the suffix {-neS} when used with
certain terms of fighting:  the verbs {HIvneS} "honor-attack" and
{HubneS} "honor-defend" carry the implication of a suicide mission.

Page 64 has {QIn pup} "plain spearhead with a single sharp point"
and {QIn vagh} "spearhead with multiple points".

The {jornub}/{jorneb} discrepancy has already been pointed out; the
text on page 57 agrees with {jorneb} as given in the English-Klingon
side of the vocabulary list.

On pages 56 and 80, "rifle" is repeatedly miswritten as {bej};
however, the word lists correctly give {nISwI' beH} for "disruptor
rifle".

On page 88, {naHjej} "thistle" is introduced, said to mean literally
"sharp fruit"; it appears to be misspelled {neHjej} in the lists at
the back of the book.

I don't intend to give the idiom and fresh word sections such careful
scrutiny.  If anyone else wants to comb through them for information
such as this, go right ahead.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level