tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 08 01:45:36 1997

Re: KLBC: Qov --> d'Armond, for your attention

At 14:06 97-10-05 PDT, Bridgewater wrote:
}	nuqneH! Qov, I am having trouble with the MUSH system. I can't seem to
}post any messages on it but recieve them all the time. If it is within your
}pleasure, would you most kindly forward this message to the system. I don't
}know what's wrong. I send the messages to [email protected], but I don't
}get them back???

Glad you're being persistent, you've clearly been working hard at your Klingon.

You *receive* messages, but you don't get your own back. Two possibilities I
can think of:

1. You have the acknowledgement option turned off, the way I do, but as I
don't remember seeing your messages on the list, that doesn't sound likely.
2. Someone with your account/site/name previously abused the list to the
extent that the list admin disabled his/her ability to post.  That doesn't
sound likely either, unless you share the account with someone who uses
words other than "most kindly" when making reasonable requests.  I've Cc:ed
this to the list admin, and perhaps he'll be able to figure out the problem.

}Anyway, here is the message I want you to foreward:
}
}"Kahless made the first bat'leth from his hair"
}betleH wa'DIch jIbDajvo' chenmoH qeylIS

You've got most of the word order right, but you've separated the object
from the rest of the sentence with {jIbDajvo'}.  As you can read in section
6.1 the noun that is not subject or object precedes the rest of the
sentence. The suffix {-vo'} refers to physical motion, and is not a
general-purpose means to translate "from."

I would say {betleH wa'DIch chenmoHmeH jIbDaj lo' qeylIS} or {jIbDaj tlhap
qeylIS  'ej betleH wa'DIch chenmoH}.

}"He put a small hair of his in the lake of Lusor"
}"luSor ngengDaq lan jIbHomDaj" (do you think Lake of Lusor should be one
}word?)

This would be perfect if you had used the same Object-Verb-Subject word
order as above. {luSor ngengDaq jIbHomDaj lan}.  Two words is good.

}"I will make it respect me!"
}"muvuv vIraD!"

As is, this says.  "It respects me I force it"  Good use of prefixes, looks
like you understand them well.  What you need here is some grammar to
connect the two sentences. I'd use the sentence of object pronoun because
"it respects me" is the thing that is being forced to happen. {muvuv 'e'
vIraD}  "I will force that it respects me" = "I will force it to respect
me."  Read about {'e'} in section 6.2.5 of TKD.

}"They fought for 12 days and 12 nights"
}"wa'maH cha' pemmey wa'maH cha' rammey je Suv chaH

Compare with the proverb: qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH wa' loD.
To talk about something that happens over a period of time, you say
literally "while <period of time> occurs."
{qaStaHvIS wa'maH cha' pemmey wa'maH cha'rammey je Suv chaH}

}"Kahless was the first emperor on Kronos!"
}"Qo'noSDaq qeylIS ghaH voDleH wa'DIch!"

Have another look at section 6.3.  There is a very special construction for
saying someone/something "is" something.

Qo'noSDaq voDleH wa'DIch ghaH qeylIS'e'

I'm not suer I accept {jIH} as a full sentence meaning "I am" but it's
rather a philosophical question, so let's say I do accept it.

}    "I think therefore I am!"
}1. "jIH 'ej jIQub!"

I am and I think

}2. "jIH 'ach'ej jIQub!"

{'ach'ej} doesn't work for whatever you are using it for.  We have
absolutely no grounds to compound conjunctions.

}3. "jIH jIQub je!"

"I also think I am," using Qub as a verb of saying.

}4. "jIH vaj jIQub!"

"I am therefore I think."

}5. "jIQub vaj jIH!"

"I think therefore I am."

This may start a massive discussion of this saying and whether {jIH} can
mean "I am" as a standalone.  Seeing as cogito ergo sum, and places where "I
am" could as well be tranlated "me" are the only uses I can think of a
standalone "I am" in English, and those sound a little odd, I can deal with
{jIH} here. YMMV.

jumuvlI'mo' jIbel, Bridgewater.  pov laHlIj.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level