tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 07 08:56:09 1997

Re: KLBC Doubt with -meH suffix

At 21:41 97-10-03 -0700, SuStel wrote:
}[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
}> There are two theories: One is that it should really be {vIDIlmeH} but the
}> prefix has dropped off. The other is that it should really be {DIllu'meH}
}> "for someone to buy" but that {-lu'} is not strictly necessary with {-meH}.
}> I think we should just take it as an idiom and not worry about why, and not
}> try to extend the grammar to any other situation.
}
}There is yet a third theory, which suggests that both of the first two
}theories were concocted by a wily editor of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the
}Galaxy . . .
}
}	Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH?

ngervetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH?  vIwIv.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level