tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 06 12:17:27 1997

RE: [Kevin Burgess]

I apologize for the tardiness of this reply, other duties have been pressing:

At 11:20 97-10-01 -0700, Kevin Burgess wrote:
}Don't forget to help with the English, as well [implied :"please"]

jatlh Qov:
I do not correct the English in KLBC submissions unless I can't understand it or the Klingon.  I know that for some people it is embarrassing to have their writing corrected, so I restrict my attention to only what they are implicitly asking to have corrected.
I wouldn't be interested in the cultural language of such an aggressive *fictive society if I was gun-shy about a little helpful criticism. How can we be embarrassed? Maltz only listens to MO. He'll never know when we make the occasional (O.K. frequent) gaffes.
Jatlh Eduardo:I just back home.

ValwI'na':This should be "I'm home!" or "I am just back home." (I'm is the conjugation for I am, in English.) as in: "Lucy, I'm home!" [for those of us old enough to remember the I love Lucy Show].
Qov:Now you *are* asking to have your English corrected. "I'm" is a contraction.
Maj, bIlugh! Precisely the help we occasionally need (I knew I should have spent more time than just a casual S/G check on the interjection!).  toH jIDogh!

Especially for those of us fortunate...Er, coming from the perspective of other Terestrial languages. Je ne compre Engles pas. Wakaramas, non desu ka? Verstehen Sie? Wir haben nur kleinen hilfe daran gebrauchten.  toHchu' jIDogh!  tlhIngan DivI ej'Hol vIjatlhlaHchu'be'.
The Spellcheck/Grammercheck functions on most E-mail systems are not enough to support us. Even when they are used {buDhey DivIpu'}. I certainly wouldn't want you to have to correct those sorts of mistakes that these functions COULD take care of. That would be a career, not a voluntary position.
tIgwIj Sa'angnIS: Occasional help with DivI Hol is appreciated.
 Help with some of the other Terrestrial lingua franca has also come from some of the other-languages "experts" on this list. They will descend on us like flies should we make mistakes en Esperanto!
Lu tlhaQ a' nuq.
Qov yImugh? In English, I can't seem to find it in any of the lists, and there aren't any Terran phonetic cognates (puns) that I could figure out.
Sincerely, Kevin Burgess
aka valwI'na':
"nuqneH,  vISaH'a' nuqjatlh? "{{:-)/*/
{"What, me worry?"}