tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 03 04:34:12 1997

Re: KLBC Quickie Question

Qov wrote:
Reasonable explanations and nice examples.

> }bIQ'a'SuvwI'  I'm looking for a word that would convey the idea of
> }Marine, and this seems to me to fit.  Learned opinions please.
>
> I've been asked to translate Marine before, and the person gave me a long
> description of what a Marine does and the connotations she wanted.
Ah the laundry list approach, I suppose thats reasonable to, I was just
thinking along the lines of the first and most basic of the ideas that
is identified with the concept of Naval (but not a sailor) Warrior :)

> {bIQ'a' SuvwI'} (use the space beteen the words) means "ocean warrior"  if
> that's appropriate, go for it.
Well thats the closest I could think of for the original naming.

>  I think we settled on {veqlargh targhpu'}
> before.  Something about what the Nazis called them in WWII.
ROFL ah yes Devil Dogs, I'd almost forgotton that nickname, it was only
current during that particular conflict.  And it wasn't what we called
each other,  Leatherneck, Jarhead and Marine being the most common of
the things we called ourselves in polite company :)  and most of the
external nicknames would, I think, fall more properly in the invective
catagory.

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian
Thanks.