tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 03 00:43:18 1997

Re: KLBC Quickie Question

At 16:33 97-10-02 -0700, you wrote:
}noun noun constructions, which I seem to be hung up on...probably cause
}I can't get my lower brain out of English mode :)

They are really quite straightforward.  A noun noun construction can be
interpreted in two ways:

{noun1 noun2}  = "noun1's noun2"  or "the noun2 of noun1"

Qov lut - Qov's story
juH rav - the floor of the home
He botlh - the middle of the road

The nouns in the N-N can themselves be modified by stative verbs, or be
N-N's themselves.

naDHa'ghachmaj qab'a' naS - the vicious visage of our discommendation
{DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub ...} "... the Duras family's Klingon
High Council rank."

}bIQ'a'SuvwI'  I'm looking for a word that would convey the idea of
}Marine, and this seems to me to fit.  Learned opinions please.

I've been asked to translate Marine before, and the person gave me a long
description of what a Marine does and the connotations she wanted.

{bIQ'a' SuvwI'} (use the space beteen the words) means "ocean warrior"  if
that's appropriate, go for it.  I think we settled on {veqlargh targhpu'}
before.  Something about what the Nazis called them in WWII.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level