tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 03 05:28:48 1997

Setting up your email software

On  3 Oct 97 at 1:20, Qov wrote:

> At 08:20 97-10-02 -0700, you wrote:
> }On 30 Sep 97 at 8:15, Brenda weemes wrote:
> }
> }>  lojmIt yipo sma HD (Open the Door) and yI�el (come In).
> }>  Kha�mah gegh Neng Do �a� ! (My heart and Soul is yours )
> }
> }Mmm, I don't know what changes you made to your system
> }configuration, but now every ' character comes out as the ligature
> }of A and E together here. Very difficult to read, actually.
>
> It came out fine on my system.  The problem was 'smart quotes.'  I
> add to my list of recommendations to tlhIngan Hol optimize your
> system.
>
> 1. Use a non-proportional, serif font e.g. Courier

Always a good idea even though I just use proportional Times Roman
in email myself, and like it (Courier is just a press of F12 away in
Pegasus Mail anyway ;-)).

> 2. Turn off smart quotes, auto capitalization and auto spelling
> correctors

Sounds great too, but I really can't see what this has got to do with
' turning into AE (as one character). This seems like a characterset
(not font) or codepage problem. By the way, I see that somewhere
along the way the character I talked about got translated into a pipe
(or | symbol).

> 3. In MS Word 7 turn off the feature that underlines
> suspected spelling errors, because it will get confused when the
> memory buffer fills up from too many Qaghqoqmey.

I don't get this: why would *anyone* write their email with MS Word
7? Sounds like the prelude to trouble...

Qapla'
peSHIr

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level