tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 03 00:43:11 1997

Re: KLBC

At 11:27 97-10-02 -0700, qeS wrote:

> Hi! I barely finished the noun section of my KLI so this is my first
> attempt at a word.

choQuchmoH (you make me happy).  I'm very glad you are working
through TKD.

> tajqoq'a'  the so-called big knife

Check in section 3.3 again.  The suffixes have to be put
on the noun in numerical order, left to right.  You have chosen the
type 3 suffix {-qoq} "so called" and the type 1 suffix {-'a'}
"augmentative."  Putting them in order, 1 before 3, you get
{taj'a'qoq}.  Nice word.  Looks like you have the right idea about noun
suffixes.

"The so-called big knife" is a reasonable translation,
but understand that the concept {taj'a'} means more than just a big
knife.  It can be something that is like a knife, but a level more.  A
machete, perhaps. Or the knife that Crocadile Dundee said "THIS is a Knife'
about.  Conversely a {tajHom} might be a penknife or an
exacto blade.

> And I have two questions please...
>
> 1. Is tlh suppossed to sound like "kl"?

It sounds a little bit like it, but you can do better.

The sound "t" in English is made by placing the tip of the tongue
against the hard ridge just behind your teeth, and then
releasing a puff of air. Say "tie, toe, cat" and feel it.

The sound "l" in English is made by putting the tongue more loosely in
approximately the same place, and letting air escape around the
edges, while at the same time making a sound in your voicebox.
Say "lily" and feel it.  Now *whisper* "lily" so your throat doesn't
vibrate.

The sound "tlh" is a combination of the "t" and the whispered "l."
Put your tongue in the position to make the "t" and pass air through,
but instead of moving the tongue the way you do for the "t," let the
air escape around the edges, as in the whispered "l."  Don't make a
sound in your throat while you say this.

> 2. And I would like my Klingon name to be qeS. I know it means
> 'advise'    but I like the sound of it so it's an okay name right?

qeS is an excellent name.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level