tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 01 00:21:51 1997

Re: KLBC :juHmaj

At 17:03 97-09-30 -0700, jeyD wrote:

}> usually do, is say something like: {maja'chuqtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
}> DIqel}
}
}DIqel? I could not find the translation.

DI- + qel
We consider them.

}> pov lutlIj.
}
}lutwij teH.  shouldn't you have put <lutlIj pov>? I though my story would
be the object of pov.

{pov} is "be excellent."  The subject of the verb is the thing that is
excellent.  There isn't any object of such a verb: it's a stative verb,
describing a state or condition.

pov lutlIj - your story is excellent.
teH lutwIj - my story is true

The subject is the thing that does or is the verb.
The object is the thing that gets the verb done to it.

}lutwIj qangeHDI', lutwIjDaq 'maj' vIlegh vIneH.
}lutwIj DacheghDI', jIH ghIjlaw'.
}bIghItlhqu'chugh, jIH ghIjchu'.

{ghIj} means "scare" not "scared."  To say "I was scared" you could use the
type-5 verb suffix {-lu'}.  {vIghIjlu'}.  Read section 4.2.5 to see how that
works.

To say "it scared me" you need to use the verb prefix for a first person
singular object of a third person subject.  {mughIjlaw'} - it seemed to scare me
Also consider the verb {bIt}.

ghItlh'a'wIj yIHajQo'.  pab vIQIjmeH 'eb vItu'DI' vIjon. Dajchugh QIn jIjangqu'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level